Scripture Memory Verse:
“Seek first His kingdom, and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” ~ Matthew 6:33
Page 8 had a quote I liked: “No matter how strong our bodies, minds, and emotions may appear, unless we have spiritual tenacity and resolve, we will not be able to run the course that God has laid out before us.”
TENACITY (or “Tenacious”) means: “not easily pulled apart; holding fast; tough; cohesive.”
RESOLVE means: “determine; decide; fixity of purpose” — also: “to break up into constituent parts“.
So, I need to have ‘fixity of purpose’ and decide to ‘not [be] easily pulled apart’ in my spiritual walk, and also in my weight loss efforts!
My Current Strength Levels (in the 4 key areas):
[rated on a 1-5 scale, with 1 being weak, and 5 being strong]
1) Physical – 3… I am moderately strong; can lift over 50 pounds; am definitely stronger than I was; am far from where I’d like to be, though!
2) Emotional – 3… also better than where I was several years ago, but definitely not yet where I’d like to be; still too fearful; don’t trust God enough.
3) Mental – 4… I’m not a basket case, and I feel that I’m fairly smart. 😉
4) Spiritual – 1… This is where I struggle the most, right now; I’ve walked too far away and need to get back into step with God — hence this study! 😉
Questions & Answers:
1) What do you learn about Jesus in Colossians 1:15-20?
- – is the visible image of the invisible God
- – existed before all of creation
- – supreme ruler over all
- – everything created by God through Him, in heaven and earth
- – everything was created for Him
- – holds all of creation together
- – is head of the church, which is the body
- – was the first, and is supreme over all who rise from the dead
- – through Him, God reconciled everything to Himself (also made peace with all by means of Christ’s blood)
2) Colossians 1:18 – Christ is the ruler of the body, the Church; He is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything He might have FIRST place.
(re-written in some of my own words).
3) What new information about Jesus did you learn that will make you more inclined to surrender your life and will to Him? Be specific.
- He is the ruler of the “body” — if I take that to mean my PHYSICAL body, instead of just the church at large, then it makes me view exercise and eating in a new way. He is in charge, so I need to follow His lead, not my own. To follow my own is to be disrespectful.
- Everything was created for Him — even me!
4) In Colossians 1:10-14, what does it say Christ did for you that assures you a place in God’s kingdom and qualifies you to share in the inheritance of the saints?
- rescued us from the kingdom of darkness
- transferred us to the kingdom of His Son
- Christ purchased our freedom and forgave our sins
5) How is First Place 4 Health part of “growing in the knowledge of God” and “being strengthened with all power…so that you may have great endurance and patience“?
By teaching us to put Christ in His rightful place as ruler over our lives — giving Him FIRST place.
6) How are Paul’s words, in verse 10, related to this week’s Scripture Memory verse?
When we give Christ His rightful place, He’s pleased, and we will be blessed.