1) Turn to John 20:24-25 and read about Jesus appearing to His disciples after His resurrection…What did Thomas say to the other disciples about believing that Jesus had risen from the dead? (v.25)
“I won’t believe it until I see the nail wounds in His hands, put my fingers into them, and place my hand into the wound in His side.”
2) Now read John 20:26-27. What was Jesus’ greeting to the disciples when He entered the house? (v.26)
“Peace be with you.”
3) Was Thomas at peace when Jesus first came into the room? Explain your answer.
Maybe not. Maybe Thomas’ reaction was fear, and that’s why Jesus first instructed them all to be at peace, then offered to let Thomas put his doubts aside.
4) What did Jesus say to Thomas? (v.27)
He told him to go ahead and touch the wounds. Then He said, “Don’t be faithless any longer. Believe!”
5) According to verse 28, what was Thomas’s response?
“My Lord and my God!”
6) Jesus also knows exactly what is keeping you from truly believing that He is the risen Christ. What does Jesus need to do to convince you that He’s the One who died for your sins and deserves supremacy in your life?
Well, I’m already convinced that He died for my sins, and that He deserves supremacy in my life — but I have trouble actually submitting to that supremacy.
7) What is Jesus saying to you through His encounter with Thomas?
…that I should believe Him without needing proof.
8.) How can First Place 4 Health help you stop doubting and start believing?
Believe that Jesus can change things for me.
9) What’s standing between you and your confession that Jesus is “Lord and God”?